Give Peas a Chance
by Rawad J. Bou Malhab
Inspired by Mohit, my Hindoustani loyalty card villain!
With far too much greyish & dusty weather than I am used to in Dubai, here is a green peas soup served with wild rucola salad & truffle butter spread on honey glazed oatmeal bread slices to color things up!
750g frozen green peas
1,1/2 cup vegetable stock
100g fresh cream
250g fresh rucola (aka rocket)
75g thinly sliced brie
cracked black pepper (as required)
rock salt (as required)
chili infused olive oil (as required)
balsamic vinegar (as required)
pan toasted olive bread chunks
pan toasted pumpkin seeds
- For the soup: par boil the frozen green peas.
- Once soft, drain. Place in a mixer with the vegetable stock. Mix till fully combined.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot & heat till warm. Season with salt & cracked pepper to your liking.
- Add the fresh cream either all or to your liking.
- Serve warm topped with both toasted pumpkin seeds and olive bread chunks.
- For the salad: combine the rucola with the thinly sliced brie.
- Season to your liking with salt & cracked black pepper.
- Add 2 tbsps of balsamic vinegar & olive oil.
- Serve with honey glazed oatmeal bread slices with truffle butter.
Green peas are loaded with A, B-1, B-6, C, and a super-sized serving of osteoporosis-fighting K. One cup of boiled green peas has 46% of your required daily of vitamin K-1, known for maintaining bone health and helping blood to clot to prevent bleeding. Peas are high in fiber and low in fat and contain no cholesterol. Plus, they’re a good source of vegetable protein.
Did you know that a 100-calorie serving (about 3/4 cup) has more protein than 1/4 cup of almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter? No wonder peas were favored by the ancient Egyptians, who buried them in their tombs for use in the afterlife. http://www.webmd.com
Were you the kind of kid who pushed green peas, uneaten, around your plate? It’s time to reconsider this vitamin powerhouse.
What is your favorite soup and salad? Let me know below!
If you like this post & would like to receive more into your inbox, scroll down and subscribe below. It is totaly free & secure.